2015

2015

Saturday, March 31, 2012

big change from a 3 year old

Three has been a big age of change for Dashel.
 
First, he started to sleep in his own bed and mostly through the night!
He sometimes even falls out of bed and continues to sleep on his "landing pad". 
So it can happen, children who bed share for the first three year of their life can become great sleepers!
 Here is how it went.
 Around his birthday he crawled up on to the top bunk, on his own volition, and fell asleep on his own!! 
I could not believe it and thought it was going to be a one night thing. 
I even said to Brock, "this will not happen ever again". 
[I had Brock bring him into bed with us before we went to sleep.]
 But, no... the second night he crawled up to the top bunk and went to sleep again.
So I realized it was really possible.
We took down the crib that was attached to our bed and moved our bed across the room.
The first couple of weeks were hard only on me!
I had a hard time sleeping with out them closer, but now I have adjusted.
We let Dashel pick out new bedding for his bed on the bottom bunk to make it his and personalized.
Now he is permanently moved into his own bed, not on top of course, but on the bottom bunk with Gavin up top.

This was honestly way easier than I ever imagined it being. 
It may be hard to believe, but with no fight, fuss, crying or anything.

I sat in their room knitting on the floor for about three or four days. 
 Then I started to say that I have to go and get something and would come back, mostly to find them both asleep. 
Now after a month, I just give kisses and loves, turn on music and lava lamp and they both go to sleep.
Although I have to admit, I do give rewards in the morning. 
One token for staying in bed and falling asleep and one token for sleeping through the night without waking me up. 
Each token equals 30 minutes of media time.
No token.... no tv. 
Puts the control and responsibility for TV time on them.

 he picked out WY cowboy bedding with a huge football helmet on it

 he likes to sleep with a lot of "friends"


Second big three year old change.... Dashel is weaned from the "nursey" milk.
We always asked him how long he was going to "nursey" and when he was going to stop.
He said when he was three and he was serious.  
He has stopped and he was fine.
No crying or whining about it. 
Once again very easy!
He does sometimes say he misses the taste of "his nursey milk"  and that it was "so yummy";-)


our last nurse

It all just makes me realize what a big boy he is now.
It is hard for me to believe that Dashel is the same age Gavin was when Dashel joined our family.  Dashel just seems so much younger.

No comments: